Song of Solomon 1:5-6
5 “I am black but lovely,
O daughters of Jerusalem,
Like the tents of Kedar,
Like the curtains of Solomon.
6 “Do not stare at me because I am swarthy,
For the sun has burned me.
My mother’s sons were angry with me;
They made me caretaker of the vineyards,
But I have not taken care of my own vineyard.”
- Her mother’s sons enslaved her making her caretaker of their vineyards.
- Her father died, mother remarried and the sons of the new father enslaved her.
- Her mother worshipped other God’s and was an enemy of David. 1 Kings 9:20-21
- Therefore she was enslaved by an Israelite man who married her mother and his sons enslaved her under Solomon’s rule.
- Solomon enslaved her and it was a heavy yoke. 1 Kings 9:20-21 and 2 Chronicles 10:4
Is it possible for an enemy slave girl, an Amorite to marry king Solomon by law? Could he redeem her from slavery to her angry brother’s? Could he marry a slave? Yes, because she had the flame of God in her. Song 8:6
Marrying an enemy slave would put on display a love that could not be bought. She could give nothing to the relationship apart from the love of God being in her. She had only debt for him to incur and take upon himself. He paid her debt and married her.
Solomon is the lesser Christ. Arguing from the lesser lover Solomon to the Greater Lover in order to get a grasp of the Love of Christ:
- The Height coming from so great a king.
- The Depth to condescend to redeeming an evil worthless slave.
- The Length is seen in how long he loved her.
- The Width or Breadth is seen in him loving her in every way possible.
- The Height. No King is higher or greater than Christ. Solomon was wise but Christ was the source and nobody taught Him. What a great King we have in Christ who rules with perfect wisdom. Solomon’s wisdom was changeable, the Wisdom of Christ does not change. And so on with all the other attributes. The train of His Robe filled the temple. What great heights did Christ leave to become a servant of God in order to redeem us!! He is the King of kings and Lord of lords who loved the most unworthy, unholy bride. Oh what great heights of love is here!!
- The Depth. He gave His life to redeem her life from the pit of Hell. Christ’s love is immense deeper than the ocean and father than the east is from the west and higher than the heavens and great enough to save the worst of sinner’s. So deep is the love of Christ. So full of never ending compassion. Oh, what depths of love is here. How deep the heart of Christ in willfully choosing to drink the Cup of God’s wrath. In the garden God showed our Savior the cup before He drank it. Prayed 3x then felt the Wrath of God for us at the cross. Christ knew how deep the Father’s Love was and Christ showed it to us at the cross. He felt the full wrath of God, paying the price to redeem his slave bride from an eternal life of misery and increasing pain and labor with no hope of redemption. Oh, the depth of the Love of Christ!!
- The Length. From the pit of hell to an eternal life enjoying God and Glorifying Him through Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior forever and ever. Oh, the length of His love!!
- The Width or Breadth. His Love can satisfy the thirstiest of souls. His love is so wide and vast as to quench the greatest thirst. It extents far and wide to the ends of the earth satisfying all who humbly come. And to the obedient who abide in you they will be satisfied to the fullest and drink their fill. The psalmist knew this so he ask God to “enlarge his heart”. So open your mouth wider and let the river of God’s pleasure quench your thirst for experiencing His Love. So wide also so as to include both Jew and Gentile.
God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners and slaves to sin and needing redemption, Christ died for us. “Do not stare at me because I am dark” She asks this in Song 1:6. It is possible only because of Christ taking her darkness upon Himself and suffered the full Wrath of God until He said “It is finished”. If your sins are forgiven you need not worry drawing close to God through Jesus, He will not stare at you, look down upon you or judge you according to your sins. Christ was punished for them. See the love then feel no fear of punishment for we love Him without fear of punishment because He first loved us.
Who is your husband/Husband? The soul has but one husband, either Satan or Christ? If you feel your life a misery, meaningless and without any hope of real satisfaction, and purpose and meaning in life seems to allude you then Satan is your husband and your labor is in vain. Your yoke is heavy like the woman in the Song. But look to Christ He is humble in heart and His yoke is easy and His burden is light. Behold Him there often. Behold His Beauty at the Cross!! The beauty of His Love. It is morally Excellent beyond measure. The beauty of His Love is that it is a Holy Love. Holiness is Beautiful. The Holy Spirit is Holy.
Application for husbands
- Love your wife as Christ loved the Church. Christ loves the church by overlooking her sin because it was paid for. So you also overlook her sin because it was paid for by Christ. This is love. Love keeps no record of wrongs. 1 Cor. 13:4-7. Though we sin Christ is patient with us, so husbands also ought to be patient with their wife. Love is kind. Love is not self-seeking. Christ loved. Love delights in the happiness of the object of its affection. Love seeks not its own, but the good of their beloved.
Application for the single ladies
- Choose a godly man to marry!! In Song 1:2-4 she desires Solomon because of his love and name. His character was loving and his name was great. The first 3 chapters of the Song are courtship. Only a man like this could love you and overlook your sin. Only a godly man can keep no record of wrongs. Imagine being loved by a person like this, so easy to love back when he loves you first. A godly man will not seek his own but your happiness.
Application for spiritual growth
- Confess your sins. She did. This is her confession. We need to remind ourselves daily that we are sinful, we sin and it is our fault. Continual confession is sin keeps you close to Christ. Abiding in Him. Obeying Him. She confesses the neglect of her vineyard. What have you neglected lately? Are you enslaved to some sin? Confess it in the presence of God and believe Christ suffered for your sins, and repent. Understand the Love of Christ at the cross, think about it often and this will give strength for obedience after the sorrow of confessing.
- In order to balance your emotions you must see yourself as she did:
- Dark am I with sin, Yet lovely in Christ Song 1:5
- She saw herself as rightly being despised 1:6
- She new her sin and neglect and knew she deserved God’s wrath but didn’t want it to be so. She wanted redemption and forgiveness from the king through marriage.
- Spend some time thinking of all your sin. “He who has been forgiven much loves much” The Song helps you grow in your Love for Christ. Humility ought to grow as well. Humility is seeing God for who He is and yourself for who you are with a proper heart response. So See God greater. See His holiness clearer and you see yourself worse than before. undone, wretch, the sinner, really bad. See yourself darker and darker and see the hell fire you deserve as greater and greater. Then see your sin upon Christ at the cross. Here is love. See yourself forgiven much and you will love much. But you have to See God Great in Holiness and Love and you not holy but selfish deserving outer darkness and misery forever yet by the blood of Christ you were redeemed. See your sin greater and greater always so that you love, value and delight in Christ more.
- Read this portion of scripture every now and then. Say what she says, feel what she feels and then obey without fear of punishment as your doves eyes are focused on His Love. If you come back to this section every now and then then the darker you will see your darkness. Come to this portion of Scripture and Psalm 51 to confess sin.
- Remember the context. She was asking for multiple manifestation of his love in Song 1:2-4 then was seeing it right for the virgins to praise and adore Solomon, then seeing there perfect love for him see she’s her sin. So ask God to show you His love through Christ and view all the saints in heaven and angels worshipping and Adoring Christ perfectly and how right it is for them to adore Him. Set this backdrop to your sin and see your darkness, all of it from birth till now and confess and judge yourself or God will discipline you. Look to the Love and Grace of Christ and find God will not be angry with you and despise you or reject you because you are accepted in Christ if you are a believer.
Application for Pastors to the church or Father to their children
- Preach the word and convict your people of their sins. If you desire for them to grow in their love then preach about sin and judgment. God’s holiness, love and righteousness. Preach the law for it is the schoolmaster leading the sheep to a closer relationship with Christ in Love. Remember “he who has been forgiven much loves much.” This doesn’t mean that they have to have done many sins in order to love much, but it does mean that he who is convicted that they have many and great sins and are exceedingly wicked but forgiven and growing, this person will love much. So preach about sin, the lake of fire and judgement. Don’t tickle their ears with peace when they continue in sin.
- Her father died. Neil and DelitzschIf “mother’s sons” is the parallel for “brothers” (אַחַי), then the expressions are of the same import, e.g., Gen. 27:29; but if the two expressions stand in apposition, as Deut. 13:7, then the idea of the natural brother is sharpened; but when “mother’s sons” stands thus by itself alone, then, after Lev. 18:9, it means the relationship by one of the parents alone, as “father’s wife” in the language of the O.T. and also 1 Cor. 5:5 is the designation of a step-mother. Nowhere is mention made of Shulamith’s father, but always, as here, only of her mother, 3:4; 8:2; 6:9; and she is only named without being introduced as speaking. We are led to suppose that Shulamith’s own father was dead, and that her mother had been married again; the sons by the second marriage were they who ruled in the house of their mother.
Interesting that when she is married to Solomon and is Queen that Gen. 27:29 seems to fit.
p class=”passage-display”>Genesis 27:29 May peoples serve you, And nations bow down to you; Be master of your brothers, And may your mother’s sons bow down to you.
The breadth shows its extent to all nations and ranks; the length, that it continues from everlasting to everlasting; the depth, its saving those who are sunk into the depths of sin and misery; the height, its raising them up to heavenly happiness and glory. Those who receive grace for grace from Christ’s fulness, may be said to be filled with the fulness of God. Should not this satisfy man? Must he needs fill himself with a thousand trifles, fancying thereby to complete his happiness?
And to know the love of Christ. By those dimensions Paul means nothing else than the love of Christ, of which he speaks afterwards. The meaning is, that he who knows it fully and perfectly is in every respect a wise man. As if he had said, “In whatever direction men may look, they will find nothing in the doctrine of salvation that does not bear some relation to this subject.” The love of Christ contains within itself the whole of wisdom, so that the words may run thus: that ye may be able to comprehend the love of Christ, which is the length and breadth, and depth, and height, that is, the complete perfection of all wisdom. The metaphor is borrowed from mathematicians, taking the parts as expressive of the whole. Almost all men are infected with the disease of desiring to obtain useless knowledge. It is of great importance that we should be told what is necessary for us to know, and what the Lord desires us to contemplate, above and below, on the right hand and on the left, before and behind. The love of Christ is held out to us as the subject which ought to occupy our daily and nightly meditations, and in which we ought to be wholly plunged. He who is in possession of this alone has enough. Beyond it there is nothing solid, nothing useful, — nothing, in short, that is proper or sound. Though you survey the heaven and earth and sea, you will never go beyond this without overstepping the lawful boundary of wisdom. Which surpasseth knowledge.
Saved in 2000 at age 27. Nearly immediately I fell in love with the Song and grew very fast the first two years memorizing large portions of scripture purifying my mind the started chewing on meat to soon and struggled for 12 years and Christ has me on track like always but I just took the long way around and now I love leading others closer to Christ by seeing His love reflected in Solomons love for an enemy slave girl.
I have experienced God's love to me in the Song in ways that words can't express. There are many portion of the Word where she experiences extra ordinary outpouring of the Holy Spirit of God. If you have a burning desire for a close intimate relationship with God by experiencing His Love to you over and over again at greater and greater heights, depths, lengths and breaths then The Song of Songs is where you need to be.
I can help you with this process of Growing in the experience of God's love. As of 7-23-16 I have experienced everything prior to chapter 8. The Song of Song is progressive in experience. Meaning that if you are mature then you can experience the joys and extraordinary outpourings of God's Love shed abroad in your heart.
If you are not so mature then the delights in the first chapter of the Song will satisfy your thirst for experiencing the Love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Many Christian are living in sin because they do not know how to experience God's love and get hooked on Loving Him. It feels good to be loved and to love Him. His burden is not heavy and His yoke is light, Jesus said in Matt. 10:28
I believe God wants to use me to help beautify His Bride through the Song of Solomon.
If you see the book literally you will not understand nor grasp the Love God has for you. If you see the book and the verses in it relating to Christ's love to you then I would love to show you how to experience this Love to the fullest. I will pray for you daily and guide you every step of the way.
16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
I grew up going to church but was a hypocrite. I lived my life how I chose but went to church on Sunday because my family went.
Mom and Dad divorced when I was about 5.
About this time I was sexually abused by "Bob" a made up name. This incident changed my life for the worst. I had no clue how to deal with it.
As I got older I grew in my hatred for Bob. I didn't blame anyone of my family because I was to young to know any better. Some of what happened during the abuse was in a bathroom. So overtime I would use the bathroom and look at my private parts that night would replay in my mind. My hatred for Bob would continue to grow each time.
Now I know this only happened to me one night. I can't image the pain other's go through who have had this happen to them over and over. Even as I write this now I cry with many tears for those hurting. God love you even though you may not know it or feel it. Go to Him in your time of need.
I was a really bad teenager. I only cared about myself and not even my family. I always came first in my mind. Even at the expense of hurting others. I was growing in my hatred for God by now.
I was going to church and was learned that God was in control. I thought well, if God was in control then He must have let me be sexually abused. I didn't understand this, How could a good and loving God allow this. I hated Him for it. My hatred for Bob grew as well. I was still using the bathroom and memories kept coming back. My heart grew even harder for Bob and God. As far as I was concerned God would have nothing to do with my life so I lived even worse. I thought I would be in jail or dead and I really didn't care, I thought it could be much worse than reliving your painful past over and over again. Little did I know that God's plan later would be to use these events to give me a burning passion for the closest most intimate love relationship with Himself through Christ mainly through the love poem in the Song of Songs in the Bible.
I remember hating Bob so much that the only thing that would relieve my pain was actually thinking he would suffer forever for what he did. I grew so much in my hatred for him that I had to continue to think that he would get even worse than what I imaged before. After some time I would only be relieved of hatred for him unless I thought he would burn in a hotter and hotter hell for all the suffering he put me through.
I never told my mom or family what happened, although I think some of them knew something had happened.
I grew up quite rebellious and even went to jail at the age of 20. I was living the fast life pursuing all my sinful desires and wanting more. It never seemed to be enough. I was quite happy in my sin but I just wanted more of it.
I lived life thinking I would die at a young age, riding motorcycle and living on the edge put me in the hospital many times and I should have been dead.
California at age 26.
I moved to California for a job opportunity at the age of 27. While trying to figure out what radio stations to program in my car, I ran across a RC Sproul talking about "people who have the faith that saves and people who only say that have faith" only the people who have the faith that saves will go to heaven. I thought "I don't think I have the faith that saves because my life was so bad." I searched the scriptures to try to get this faith. I found a church and thought people there could help me get this faith that saves. All along God kept showing me how sinful I was and that I deserved punishment from Him for living my life hating Him.
One weekend I read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John desperately trying to find out how to get this faith that saves. By now I knew that if you had the faith that saves that Jesus would be saving you from a life of sin. I still liked my sin and Jesus sure wasn't saving me from a life of sin, so I rightly concluded that I didn't have the faith that saves.
By the time I got to John, I saw "believe" everywhere. John 3:16 and other verses and wow the whole book was written so that you may believe. John 20:31 "these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name." So at night I would pray "I believe Jesus died for me, I believe, I believe. This was just an intellectual belief. I knew that in history and the Bible that Jesus died for everyone, so I believed it. But this belief did not change my life.
I would go on night after night saying the same prayer only to wake up the next day wanting to fulfill my sinful desires. The prayer wasn't working so I started to word it different each time hoping some prayer would work. After about 2 weeks of this I was fed up with it all, nothing was happening. I still was living in my sin and wanted more of it. A Christian hates their sin and does something about it, and certainly they don't continue to make plans to sin. The prayers weren't working so I gave up. I thought to myself "God, I tried with all my might, I searched the Scriptures, went to church, read the Bible and prayed all to no avail. If Im going to be saved your going to have to do it because I tried."
So I quit praying but still the Bible kept calling me so I read more. 3 Days later I was laying in a tanning bed and God convicted me really hard that I had offended Him by the life I was living. I was so scared of God, where could I run. You can't hide from God. It seemed like forever that I was under these terrors of being punished by a Holy Angry God. This lasted about 10 minutes then this is how I understood it. God let me understand that all that anger that He had for me for all my sin should come my way but He had poured that anger out on Jesus 2,000 years ago. I immediately started weeping an couldn't stop for about 20 minutes. All the sins that I could think of I confessed for that 20 minutes one after another after another, I was so sorrowful and grieved it physically hurt inside.
After I stopped crying I thought that was the weirdest thing that ever happened. I walked out of the tanning salon and stood outside and everything seemed so beautiful, the tree's, the birds, even the air seemed pleasant. Now I was really wondering what was going on.
I pondered all of this as I drove to work that day. I brought my Bible to work and was thinking what am I doing, I want to take my Bible to work so I can read it. As soon as I got to work I started reading my Bible. I couldn't believe what I was reading!! It all was so wonderful. It felt so good to just read my Bible. My client showed up and as I was training them the only thing I could think about was getting back to my Bible. I read all night and slept about 2 hours and was reading again.
I had sinful things in my apartment and I rounded everything evil up and threw it in the garbage. It was weird I was thinking but it felt good so I left it all in the garbage. I called my girlfriend to break it up and she thought I had another girl, I said no, I just think this is wrong we shouldn't be sleeping together. She didn't understand so I told her I was a Christian now and she still thought I had another girlfriend. She said "Im glad your a Christian, so am I" I thought to myself, "I have a strong conviction that sleeping together is wrong and she thought it was okay" I wondered how she could think that. Anyway we broke up.
I kept reading my bible and repenting, there was so much to repent of and I had lived a very sinful life. I was a thief for some part of my life and all the people I stole from kept coming to mind. I owed so much money. I was instantly in debt about $80,000. As I could I paid them back. As of 7-18-2016 I still owe about $25,000 but it sure is a joy to be paying them back.
The first week of being saved a car just about ran me over, they hit me but I wasn't hurt at all. The guy in the car felt so bad. I just looked at him and said "God bless you and have a great day, I am okay" smiled at him and moved on. Now I was really wondering what was going on because I normally would have cussed him out left and right and instead of cussing I blessed him. That was so weird. But again it felt good. I learned to do good by what my conscience told me was good and that it felt good. I got hooked on this feeling good by doing good and did it more often.
About two weeks after being saved I thought of Bob. I immediately prayed for him, something like "Lord help him.." then I stopped praying and said out loud "What am I doing?" I'm praying for a man that I hated my whole life, but it feels good and right, so I did it again. I stopped again midway in the prayer and started pacing around. I was trying to make sense of what was going on and couldn't figure it out. But again it made me happy to pray for him so I did. Bob would often come to mind when I went to the bathroom and each time I would pray for Him. The more I did this the less weird it got. And the greater my love grew for him.
I started memorizing large portions of scripture and this was wonderful because it felt like the words were cleaning my mind and as Proverbs 2:10 "For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul." I wanted more and more of this pleasantness. So I memorized even more and the joy got more and more.
Then this life changing advice came:
A friend from church told me to find a book of the Bible and really understand it. Read through the Bible and pick one and read it over and over and study it and really get it. So I started in Genesis and read through. When I got to Proverbs I really liked it so I thought that would be the book. I started by memorizing all of Proverbs chapter 3. After that I thought maybe there is a better book than Proverbs. So I read on. Then I came to Song of Solomon. I read it with quite some confusion. It wasn't as good as the other books, I didn't know why. So I bought a commentary on it. George Burrowes commentary on the Song of Solomon.
In the commentary I found that George and other saw the book as illustrating God's love to the Church. And not only illustrating it but displaying the Love of Christ better than any other book. This caught my attention big time, because I was having a burning desire for a closer relationship with God and desperately learning about His Love so that I could Love God. You see I had hated Him for so long that God used that old hard heart to spur me on in loving Him. I so much did not want to hate God anymore that I was on fire to learn to Love Him as much and as fast as possible. So here was a book that would help me do that. So I landed on the Song of Solomon. I committed to learning as much of this book as possible.
I memorized the first chapter and would repeat it often throughout the day. I didn't know much of what I was repeating but it sure made me happier and on fire for God. I grew so fast repeating the first chapter over and over again all day, like a dozen times a day at least. It felt so good and I never found any other book that caused me to weep so much. I would often weep everyday just reading it. I was to immature to know what was going on. Even though it hurt to weep so much, I felt like my heart was being cleansed from the filth that was in it by repeating it over and over again so I did. As I read the commentary I understood more and more. What God was doing in me through the Song was greater and faster than any other portion of Scripture so I tended to stay there often. I was so excited about God that I thought it funny that other's in church weren't the same way. Some where happy but it seemed most of them didn't seem to care much about God. They would talk about work, football the weather. The only thing I wanted to talk about was Jesus and God and how can I grow closer to Him.
About this time there was a mission trip to Ireland.
I started to have convictions that I should try to find Bob and witness to him. I kept praying for him but how could he be saved if he hadn't heard the Gospel that has power unto salvation. So I asked family if they had any information. Like me before, my family hated him and thought he deserved hell. After some time I got his name but no location or phone number. Either they didn't know where he was or didn't want to tell me. I prayed some more and then started to get stronger convictions to do something about finding Bob.
So I went on the internet and typed in "his name and child molestation sex offender court" thinking that some court record would have some info leading to where I may find him" I even talked to a private eye and he couldn't help. So I googled some key words and spent hours each day looking through each page. I believed it was God's will for me to witness to Bob. I wanted him to be saved. Really bad. So much so that I thought God would save Bob if I were to witness to him. So I didn't stop searching for him. I kept my computer on each day and went page by page. It took two years to go through about 15,000 pages but I found someone who matched his name in a prison for molesting his grandchildren. I wrote the prison and he wrote back. All kinds of emotions went through my body when I saw his letter from the jail. I didn't open it right away but two hours later God gave me enough courage to face my fears again and I opened the letter. He admitted to being the one who molested me. We wrote back and forth I told him I was angry before but now I was saved and that I loved him and believed God wanted me to talk to him. He read my letters over and over again. I shared the gospel in each one.
I got mad at Bob 2x. Once he said that he love me. I got really angry with him. He didn't love me. That night it was hard to love Bob, I had to call a friend to pray for me to repent, after he prayed I felt greater love for Bob. Then I wrote him back saying "I'm sorry but you can't say that you loved me. You did not love me you lusted after me." He admitted he didn't love as he should have and admitted that it was lust and sinful. Finally some conviction. Yet I only thought he was saying that because I was being nice to him. All his family had left him and he said I was the only "friend" he had.
Wether or not it was true Bob said that he had cancer in his arm and that the help the prison gives was not enough and if he had money he could see a different doctor and get help. I sent him some money and since I was in jail before I knew what it was like to be in there without money, so I sent him money.
About 4-5 months in the economy went down, it was 2008. Work was hard. I still sent him money and I had to work harder. This was a really good lesson for me because I had to "work hard for the benefit of someone who did not deserve it." This was one of the greatest blessing ever because I realized with great certainty that Jesus was in me. This is what Jesus did. Jesus worked his whole life for me and I didn't deserve it!! Christ was in me! This was one of the best feelings ever and it put me in worship for months.
Then a mission trip to Croatia.
Each time I had to leave my business and amazing as it is I was completely okay each time. I am a self employed personal trainer and it is normally absurd to just leave and start over, but each time I had enough work within 2 weeks of coming back. This is a flat out miracle. I trusted God to provide and he did. How many people can start up a business in 2 weeks. Only with the help of God. God was teaching me early on in my walk that as long as I did what He wanted me to do then I had nothing to worry about.
About 3 years saved now.
I Taught the 4 year old's at church Sunday morning for 10 years.
Left my business 2x for mission trips and God miraculously provided when I came back.
I taught 5 x a week plus held a job.
Sunday morning to the kids.
Sunday night with the 5th graders
Friday afternoons at Good News Clubs. Sponsored by Child Evangelism Fellowship.
Friday Nights with the Kids teaching through Pilgrims Progress, I did this 2x
Teaching Monday afternoons at a nursing home. I taught through the Song of Songs once then John, then Romans then back to the Song again! I love the Song of Songs.
I grew up hating God for what happened to me, and now I love Him because He first loved me. My passion is for children to grow up loving God and not hating Him.
My other passion which has become ever greater is to help others see the Love of Christ to His Church in the Song of Songs!!
I would love to help you, just let me know and I will lead you and pray for you.
God demonstrates His love to us in sending His one and only Son to suffer in our place, taking our sins upon Himself so that whoever believes they get to heaven because of what He did for us will not perish but have everlasting life.