Song of Songs 1:7
“Tell me, you whom I love,
where you graze your flock
and where you rest your sheep at midday.
Why should I be like a veiled woman
beside the flocks of your friends?”
Who was it that King Solomon set his love on in the Song of Songs? She was a natural born enemy of God. How do we know this?
- She was a gentile outside a covenant relationship with God, “beside the companions of Solomons friends” She was originally in Solomon’s circle of friends. Song 1:5-7
- She is being treated like a prostitute. Song 1:7
- She is enslaved by King Solomon during his reign. I Kings 9:20-23
- She doesn’t want to be judged. 1:6
- She has neglected her vineyard. 1:6
- The enemies did the slave labor 1 Kings 9:20-23, 1 Kings 11:4, Song 1:6, Dt. 20:10-14
- Being an enemy of God meant you were liable to disease unlike the daughters of Jerusalem Dt. 7:15
- She was outside of God’s kingdom blessings He promised. It is so she wants out of enemy slave labor and into fellowship with Solomon where she can find peace with God and physical and spiritual rest. Song 1:7
- She was miserably sunburnt. Enemies of god that did the slave labor were sunburnt or “scorched by the sun” Song 1:6 from working under the hot noon day sun. The Israelites wouldn’t suffer under the scorching sun, that was the work for the slaves. The Israelites were experiencing their 40 year rest after killing many of God’s enemies.
- She inherits the promised land through her union with the king of peace.
- She was not only took care of the vineyards but also was a shepherdess of young goats. Song 1:8
- Her name she earned by 6:12-13 was “Shulammite” meaning woman of peace. This is what she was characterized by.
- She had an unquenchable love in her heart. 8:6
- She was outside a covenant relationship with God therefore an enemy. Song 1:7 “beside the flocks of your friends” She is beside the flock of God. Beside the friends of Solomon. It is so, but it doesn’t have to be that way. So she says “Why should I be like a veiled woman beside the flocks of your friends.” She is outside a covenant relationship with God and is being treated like a prostitute. Her being dark like the tents of Kedar refer also to her being an enemy of God outside a covent relationship with Yahweh. Ps 120:5 David lived among these evil descendants of Ishmael. Gen 25:13, 1 Chronicles 1:29, Is 21:17.
- She is being treated like a prostitute. She is not a prostitute but is being treated like one. A veiled woman was a prostitute. “Why should I be like a veiled woman…” Why should I be regarded as a prostitute. Prostitutes were despised. And obviously anyone continuing in prostitution was outside a covenant relationship with God and therefore an enemy of God. She is outside the flock of God, it is so, but she knows the Character of God and Solomon as being forgiving and loving. Solomon was a king that loved his enemies and made peace with them.
- The idea that she was worshipping other God’s is a metaphor for spiritual adultery. The soul has but one husband either Satan or God. Since she was being despised and judged like a physical prostitute it is only because she had forsaken her true God and Husband. Ez. 16:32 “You adulterous wife! You prefer strangers to your own husband!” see also Jer. 3:1,9,20; Hosea 2:2; 2 Cor. 11:2
- She is enslaved by King Solomon. Solomon enslaved God’s enemies that were in Israel when he became king. They were David’s enemies and she was there when Solomon became king so He enslaved her. Solomon and God’s people Israel are put here for “brothers” in Song 1:6. Are we not all from the same mother, Eve. Aren’t we all family. We ought to be at peace not war. When she makes her request in Song 1:7 for her slavery to not be so she says “Why should I be treated like a veiled woman..” who was in forced labor. Compare Song 1:6 with 1 Kings 9:20-21 ….”Solomon conscripted the descendants of all these peoples remaining in the land—whom the Israelites could not exterminate—to serve as slave labor, as it is to this day.” This laboring in the sun was not easy, but harsh and heavy 2 Chronicles 10:4 “Your father put a heavy yoke on us, but now lighten the harsh labor and the heavy yoke he put on us, and we will serve you.” Since she was enslaved by King Solomon we know that she was his and God’s enemy. 2 Chron. 8:8. When Israel was conquering more land they became strong and put the Canaanites to forced labor. Judges 1:28, 30,34,35
- She is under the Wrath of God. Enemies of God were under His Wrath, some got completely destroyed during David reign and other’s that lived into Solomon’s reign were put to forced labor. Dt 20:1, 10-14 and were sunburnt.
- There is another reason why she is an enemy of God. See “angry” in Song 1:6. Wether God is punishing us through someone else or directly. If she is under the just punishment of God it is because He is angry and we have offended him and we deserve it to be so. The brother’s were angry with her. Yes, this is her mother’s brothers who were angry with her and she was more directly feeling their anger and hatred but she is also justly receiving this miserable treatment because she was a sinner neglecting worship of the One True God. This forced labor is not a blessing for obedience, but a curse for disobedience due to her sinful behavior of not taking care of her God given responsibilities. Namely to cultivate a growing love relationship with God. This is the vineyard she neglected. The vineyards are the false God’s
- Another indication that she was an enemy of God before Song 1:2, is the fact that she was a sinner. Jews were not born sinless. Jews in the old testament were not born with pure or renewed hearts. Ez. 36:26. In Song 8:6 the love shared between the born again bride and the greatest type of Christ to have ever lived thus far is one and the very same with “the Flame of the Lord”. God wanted her to take care of her vineyard and she neglected it. Due to the sinful neglect of her own vineyard she is put into slavery by her mother’s sons. She was supposed to bear fruit. Because she sinned and disobeyed God and worshipped other God’s she was a sinner and in her mind she is at enmity against God (thus enemies) rebelling and neglecting to cultivate a growing relationship with God proven by bearing fruit in her vineyard. She neglected to do her duty and catch the foxes. Song 1:5-6 is the bride to be given an account of her past, the reason for her sunburn, she was a natural born Gentile, sunburnt, enemy of God until the very Flame of the Lord entered her and she was born again and desired to be married to the greatest type of Christ to have lived thus far, Solomon, and Song 2:15
- A slave in Israel under the control of Solomon would have been an enemy due to Laws on Warfare in Dt. 20:1, 10-14
- Her having the sunburn from working outside gave her away that she was an enemy of God, so her prayer to daughters of Jerusalem, who love God but aren’t sunburnt, her prayer to them is “Do not stare at me because I am dark, darkened by the sun….”
- Also the word “friends” is used in Song 1:7 Friends fear no punishment from the king. But enemies will. She doesn’t want to be looked down upon because her dark sunburn that makes people think she is an enemy of God. Yes, she is sunburnt still but she is born again Song 8:6. Solomon reassures her that she has nothing to worry about, her sunburn/or remnants of a past sinful life won’t keep him/Him from intimacy with her. In his eyes she is “the most beautiful of all women.” 1:7 beauty being a reference to both the inside and out.
- That’s the old life, an enemy of the king and God. But now I want to repent and joyfully serve my king and God in his kingdom as his wife. In her words of Song 1:2-4 and Song 1:7. “Let him kiss me..” is a request. She is asking for something from him. She is not commanding but asking out of love to him/Him for the king to kiss her over and over again. The bride is saying I know you love me and I delight in Your Love more than any other experience so show me your love over and over again in greater heights in majesty, depths, lengths and widths.
- Her nick name of “Shulamite” Song 6:13 intimates peace, Princess of peace. Peace the opposite of enmity, hatred. By Song 6:13 she has proven herself to be at peace with both God and man by her love, the Very Eternal Flame of God in her! Song 8:6
- What do I love, where is my greatest delight, tel me you whom I love, where you graze you flock, where do you provide nourishment for your sheep, joy and rest in this world is found in Christ alone! She wants to be where he/He is and where he/He nourishes his/Sheep both physically and spiritually.
She was being treated like an immoral spiritual prostitute. Prostituting herself to other god’s. God ought to be her husband in whom is redemption when in a Covenant relationship with Him. But she neglected Him followed other god’s and now is having a change of heart. It is so, it is true she did sin and deserved to be judged and despised but doesn’t want it to be that way in Song 1:7
Knowing that the woman in the Song of Solomon was an enemy of God in Solomon’s kingdom is crucial to your understanding of the whole Song and consequently your idea of the Love of God will be not so clear and true.
The Song of Songs illustrates a greater love than just that of a man and a woman. Solomon marries a born again enemy Song 8:6, 1 kings 9:20-23 ( the enemies of God did the vineyard and slave labor work) , in Song 1:6 she is in slave labor doing vineyard work. By the king to whom peace belongs unites himself in marriage to a born again enemy of God and loves her to full spiritual maturity as fast as possible with by his unmeasurable wisdom fueled by the infinite flame of the Love of the Lord. The Song communicates to our hearts the Love of God through a mediator like Christ but not Christ rather a the greatest type of Christ to have lived thus far. Solomons words would have been Christ’s words, for Solomon loved his wife as Christ loved the church in the Song of Songs, where Solomon is the most excellent lover and a beloved above all others, thus the greatest husband ever thus illustrating Christ’s glory in many ways. She marries the greatest type of the coming messiah to have ever lived so far! “Greater Love has no one than this…”
The Song illustrates the Holy Love of God in a marriage context better than any other love Song. It is the Song of Songs. It is superlative in it’s nature. It is superlative in its nature to communicate to our minds and hearts the flame of God better than any other song. Marriage is the best earthly illustration anyone could use to communicate what is better felt than understood. It reveals the Love of God to the whole heart like no other Song. Thus you have the title “Song of Songs”. Of all marriage songs in the bible Ps. 45 and other Songs Solomon wrote, 1 Kings 4:32 “He also spoke 3,000 proverbs, and his songs were 1,005.
The main purpose of the Song is for you to get a better grasp of the Love of God by putting yourself in her shoes and meditating on the text and seeing King Solomon, the husband, perfectly loving his enemy slave wife. Herein is the perfect illustration of God loving his enemies. God loving his enemies Israel. Christ’s sacrificial love to the church.
Romans 5:8 “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”
The perfect match displaying the Glory of God.
Once Solomon’s enemy but she is seated at his table feasting in Song 1:12.
At the end of the Song her vineyard was quite fruitful and the credit went to Solomon and those who helped her become more mature and holy bearing both high quantities and qualities of fruit.
Other notes as I wrote
What great love is on display here!!! Solomon courted, married and sanctified his wife. From babe to the highest level of holiness possible here on earth in the Song of Songs. He demonstrated God’s love to her by faithfully loving her in marriage.
Saved in 2000 at age 27. Nearly immediately I fell in love with the Song and grew very fast the first two years memorizing large portions of scripture purifying my mind the started chewing on meat to soon and struggled for 12 years and Christ has me on track like always but I just took the long way around and now I love leading others closer to Christ by seeing His love reflected in Solomons love for an enemy slave girl.
I have experienced God's love to me in the Song in ways that words can't express. There are many portion of the Word where she experiences extra ordinary outpouring of the Holy Spirit of God. If you have a burning desire for a close intimate relationship with God by experiencing His Love to you over and over again at greater and greater heights, depths, lengths and breaths then The Song of Songs is where you need to be.
I can help you with this process of Growing in the experience of God's love. As of 7-23-16 I have experienced everything prior to chapter 8. The Song of Song is progressive in experience. Meaning that if you are mature then you can experience the joys and extraordinary outpourings of God's Love shed abroad in your heart.
If you are not so mature then the delights in the first chapter of the Song will satisfy your thirst for experiencing the Love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Many Christian are living in sin because they do not know how to experience God's love and get hooked on Loving Him. It feels good to be loved and to love Him. His burden is not heavy and His yoke is light, Jesus said in Matt. 10:28
I believe God wants to use me to help beautify His Bride through the Song of Solomon.
If you see the book literally you will not understand nor grasp the Love God has for you. If you see the book and the verses in it relating to Christ's love to you then I would love to show you how to experience this Love to the fullest. I will pray for you daily and guide you every step of the way.
16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
I grew up going to church but was a hypocrite. I lived my life how I chose but went to church on Sunday because my family went.
Mom and Dad divorced when I was about 5.
About this time I was sexually abused by "Bob" a made up name. This incident changed my life for the worst. I had no clue how to deal with it.
As I got older I grew in my hatred for Bob. I didn't blame anyone of my family because I was to young to know any better. Some of what happened during the abuse was in a bathroom. So overtime I would use the bathroom and look at my private parts that night would replay in my mind. My hatred for Bob would continue to grow each time.
Now I know this only happened to me one night. I can't image the pain other's go through who have had this happen to them over and over. Even as I write this now I cry with many tears for those hurting. God love you even though you may not know it or feel it. Go to Him in your time of need.
I was a really bad teenager. I only cared about myself and not even my family. I always came first in my mind. Even at the expense of hurting others. I was growing in my hatred for God by now.
I was going to church and was learned that God was in control. I thought well, if God was in control then He must have let me be sexually abused. I didn't understand this, How could a good and loving God allow this. I hated Him for it. My hatred for Bob grew as well. I was still using the bathroom and memories kept coming back. My heart grew even harder for Bob and God. As far as I was concerned God would have nothing to do with my life so I lived even worse. I thought I would be in jail or dead and I really didn't care, I thought it could be much worse than reliving your painful past over and over again. Little did I know that God's plan later would be to use these events to give me a burning passion for the closest most intimate love relationship with Himself through Christ mainly through the love poem in the Song of Songs in the Bible.
I remember hating Bob so much that the only thing that would relieve my pain was actually thinking he would suffer forever for what he did. I grew so much in my hatred for him that I had to continue to think that he would get even worse than what I imaged before. After some time I would only be relieved of hatred for him unless I thought he would burn in a hotter and hotter hell for all the suffering he put me through.
I never told my mom or family what happened, although I think some of them knew something had happened.
I grew up quite rebellious and even went to jail at the age of 20. I was living the fast life pursuing all my sinful desires and wanting more. It never seemed to be enough. I was quite happy in my sin but I just wanted more of it.
I lived life thinking I would die at a young age, riding motorcycle and living on the edge put me in the hospital many times and I should have been dead.
California at age 26.
I moved to California for a job opportunity at the age of 27. While trying to figure out what radio stations to program in my car, I ran across a RC Sproul talking about "people who have the faith that saves and people who only say that have faith" only the people who have the faith that saves will go to heaven. I thought "I don't think I have the faith that saves because my life was so bad." I searched the scriptures to try to get this faith. I found a church and thought people there could help me get this faith that saves. All along God kept showing me how sinful I was and that I deserved punishment from Him for living my life hating Him.
One weekend I read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John desperately trying to find out how to get this faith that saves. By now I knew that if you had the faith that saves that Jesus would be saving you from a life of sin. I still liked my sin and Jesus sure wasn't saving me from a life of sin, so I rightly concluded that I didn't have the faith that saves.
By the time I got to John, I saw "believe" everywhere. John 3:16 and other verses and wow the whole book was written so that you may believe. John 20:31 "these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name." So at night I would pray "I believe Jesus died for me, I believe, I believe. This was just an intellectual belief. I knew that in history and the Bible that Jesus died for everyone, so I believed it. But this belief did not change my life.
I would go on night after night saying the same prayer only to wake up the next day wanting to fulfill my sinful desires. The prayer wasn't working so I started to word it different each time hoping some prayer would work. After about 2 weeks of this I was fed up with it all, nothing was happening. I still was living in my sin and wanted more of it. A Christian hates their sin and does something about it, and certainly they don't continue to make plans to sin. The prayers weren't working so I gave up. I thought to myself "God, I tried with all my might, I searched the Scriptures, went to church, read the Bible and prayed all to no avail. If Im going to be saved your going to have to do it because I tried."
So I quit praying but still the Bible kept calling me so I read more. 3 Days later I was laying in a tanning bed and God convicted me really hard that I had offended Him by the life I was living. I was so scared of God, where could I run. You can't hide from God. It seemed like forever that I was under these terrors of being punished by a Holy Angry God. This lasted about 10 minutes then this is how I understood it. God let me understand that all that anger that He had for me for all my sin should come my way but He had poured that anger out on Jesus 2,000 years ago. I immediately started weeping an couldn't stop for about 20 minutes. All the sins that I could think of I confessed for that 20 minutes one after another after another, I was so sorrowful and grieved it physically hurt inside.
After I stopped crying I thought that was the weirdest thing that ever happened. I walked out of the tanning salon and stood outside and everything seemed so beautiful, the tree's, the birds, even the air seemed pleasant. Now I was really wondering what was going on.
I pondered all of this as I drove to work that day. I brought my Bible to work and was thinking what am I doing, I want to take my Bible to work so I can read it. As soon as I got to work I started reading my Bible. I couldn't believe what I was reading!! It all was so wonderful. It felt so good to just read my Bible. My client showed up and as I was training them the only thing I could think about was getting back to my Bible. I read all night and slept about 2 hours and was reading again.
I had sinful things in my apartment and I rounded everything evil up and threw it in the garbage. It was weird I was thinking but it felt good so I left it all in the garbage. I called my girlfriend to break it up and she thought I had another girl, I said no, I just think this is wrong we shouldn't be sleeping together. She didn't understand so I told her I was a Christian now and she still thought I had another girlfriend. She said "Im glad your a Christian, so am I" I thought to myself, "I have a strong conviction that sleeping together is wrong and she thought it was okay" I wondered how she could think that. Anyway we broke up.
I kept reading my bible and repenting, there was so much to repent of and I had lived a very sinful life. I was a thief for some part of my life and all the people I stole from kept coming to mind. I owed so much money. I was instantly in debt about $80,000. As I could I paid them back. As of 7-18-2016 I still owe about $25,000 but it sure is a joy to be paying them back.
The first week of being saved a car just about ran me over, they hit me but I wasn't hurt at all. The guy in the car felt so bad. I just looked at him and said "God bless you and have a great day, I am okay" smiled at him and moved on. Now I was really wondering what was going on because I normally would have cussed him out left and right and instead of cussing I blessed him. That was so weird. But again it felt good. I learned to do good by what my conscience told me was good and that it felt good. I got hooked on this feeling good by doing good and did it more often.
About two weeks after being saved I thought of Bob. I immediately prayed for him, something like "Lord help him.." then I stopped praying and said out loud "What am I doing?" I'm praying for a man that I hated my whole life, but it feels good and right, so I did it again. I stopped again midway in the prayer and started pacing around. I was trying to make sense of what was going on and couldn't figure it out. But again it made me happy to pray for him so I did. Bob would often come to mind when I went to the bathroom and each time I would pray for Him. The more I did this the less weird it got. And the greater my love grew for him.
I started memorizing large portions of scripture and this was wonderful because it felt like the words were cleaning my mind and as Proverbs 2:10 "For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul." I wanted more and more of this pleasantness. So I memorized even more and the joy got more and more.
Then this life changing advice came:
A friend from church told me to find a book of the Bible and really understand it. Read through the Bible and pick one and read it over and over and study it and really get it. So I started in Genesis and read through. When I got to Proverbs I really liked it so I thought that would be the book. I started by memorizing all of Proverbs chapter 3. After that I thought maybe there is a better book than Proverbs. So I read on. Then I came to Song of Solomon. I read it with quite some confusion. It wasn't as good as the other books, I didn't know why. So I bought a commentary on it. George Burrowes commentary on the Song of Solomon.
In the commentary I found that George and other saw the book as illustrating God's love to the Church. And not only illustrating it but displaying the Love of Christ better than any other book. This caught my attention big time, because I was having a burning desire for a closer relationship with God and desperately learning about His Love so that I could Love God. You see I had hated Him for so long that God used that old hard heart to spur me on in loving Him. I so much did not want to hate God anymore that I was on fire to learn to Love Him as much and as fast as possible. So here was a book that would help me do that. So I landed on the Song of Solomon. I committed to learning as much of this book as possible.
I memorized the first chapter and would repeat it often throughout the day. I didn't know much of what I was repeating but it sure made me happier and on fire for God. I grew so fast repeating the first chapter over and over again all day, like a dozen times a day at least. It felt so good and I never found any other book that caused me to weep so much. I would often weep everyday just reading it. I was to immature to know what was going on. Even though it hurt to weep so much, I felt like my heart was being cleansed from the filth that was in it by repeating it over and over again so I did. As I read the commentary I understood more and more. What God was doing in me through the Song was greater and faster than any other portion of Scripture so I tended to stay there often. I was so excited about God that I thought it funny that other's in church weren't the same way. Some where happy but it seemed most of them didn't seem to care much about God. They would talk about work, football the weather. The only thing I wanted to talk about was Jesus and God and how can I grow closer to Him.
About this time there was a mission trip to Ireland.
I started to have convictions that I should try to find Bob and witness to him. I kept praying for him but how could he be saved if he hadn't heard the Gospel that has power unto salvation. So I asked family if they had any information. Like me before, my family hated him and thought he deserved hell. After some time I got his name but no location or phone number. Either they didn't know where he was or didn't want to tell me. I prayed some more and then started to get stronger convictions to do something about finding Bob.
So I went on the internet and typed in "his name and child molestation sex offender court" thinking that some court record would have some info leading to where I may find him" I even talked to a private eye and he couldn't help. So I googled some key words and spent hours each day looking through each page. I believed it was God's will for me to witness to Bob. I wanted him to be saved. Really bad. So much so that I thought God would save Bob if I were to witness to him. So I didn't stop searching for him. I kept my computer on each day and went page by page. It took two years to go through about 15,000 pages but I found someone who matched his name in a prison for molesting his grandchildren. I wrote the prison and he wrote back. All kinds of emotions went through my body when I saw his letter from the jail. I didn't open it right away but two hours later God gave me enough courage to face my fears again and I opened the letter. He admitted to being the one who molested me. We wrote back and forth I told him I was angry before but now I was saved and that I loved him and believed God wanted me to talk to him. He read my letters over and over again. I shared the gospel in each one.
I got mad at Bob 2x. Once he said that he love me. I got really angry with him. He didn't love me. That night it was hard to love Bob, I had to call a friend to pray for me to repent, after he prayed I felt greater love for Bob. Then I wrote him back saying "I'm sorry but you can't say that you loved me. You did not love me you lusted after me." He admitted he didn't love as he should have and admitted that it was lust and sinful. Finally some conviction. Yet I only thought he was saying that because I was being nice to him. All his family had left him and he said I was the only "friend" he had.
Wether or not it was true Bob said that he had cancer in his arm and that the help the prison gives was not enough and if he had money he could see a different doctor and get help. I sent him some money and since I was in jail before I knew what it was like to be in there without money, so I sent him money.
About 4-5 months in the economy went down, it was 2008. Work was hard. I still sent him money and I had to work harder. This was a really good lesson for me because I had to "work hard for the benefit of someone who did not deserve it." This was one of the greatest blessing ever because I realized with great certainty that Jesus was in me. This is what Jesus did. Jesus worked his whole life for me and I didn't deserve it!! Christ was in me! This was one of the best feelings ever and it put me in worship for months.
Then a mission trip to Croatia.
Each time I had to leave my business and amazing as it is I was completely okay each time. I am a self employed personal trainer and it is normally absurd to just leave and start over, but each time I had enough work within 2 weeks of coming back. This is a flat out miracle. I trusted God to provide and he did. How many people can start up a business in 2 weeks. Only with the help of God. God was teaching me early on in my walk that as long as I did what He wanted me to do then I had nothing to worry about.
About 3 years saved now.
I Taught the 4 year old's at church Sunday morning for 10 years.
Left my business 2x for mission trips and God miraculously provided when I came back.
I taught 5 x a week plus held a job.
Sunday morning to the kids.
Sunday night with the 5th graders
Friday afternoons at Good News Clubs. Sponsored by Child Evangelism Fellowship.
Friday Nights with the Kids teaching through Pilgrims Progress, I did this 2x
Teaching Monday afternoons at a nursing home. I taught through the Song of Songs once then John, then Romans then back to the Song again! I love the Song of Songs.
I grew up hating God for what happened to me, and now I love Him because He first loved me. My passion is for children to grow up loving God and not hating Him.
My other passion which has become ever greater is to help others see the Love of Christ to His Church in the Song of Songs!!
I would love to help you, just let me know and I will lead you and pray for you.
God demonstrates His love to us in sending His one and only Son to suffer in our place, taking our sins upon Himself so that whoever believes they get to heaven because of what He did for us will not perish but have everlasting life.